Giving Tuesday 2018
Giving Tuesday 2018
Burning Nights CRPS Support joins the Giving Tuesday 2018 movement to encourage people around the UK to do “good stuff” this Christmas!
Burning Nights CRPS Support has announced it is taking part in this year’s Giving Tuesday 2018 campaign which this year is on Tuesday 27 November 2018. The Giving Tuesday campaign, which began in America, has now been running in the UK since 2014 and is an antidote to the mass consumerism of Black Friday. Giving Tuesday aims to get people thinking of others in the run up to Christmas, be it through donating to charity, volunteering or simply helping a friend, neighbour or family member.
Burning Nights CRPS Support was founded in September 2014 by Victoria Abbott-Fleming, who lives with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) and is a bilateral above knee amputee due to Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) and its many symptoms. They became a registered charity in April 2016. Burning Nights CRPS Support charity is dedicated to raising awareness & supporting people affected by a poorly understood neuropathic pain condition, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). Read more about how Burning Nights CRPS Support was founded.
CRPS affects 1 in 3,800 people in the UK which is approximately 15,000 newly diagnosed cases every year, which doesn’t account for those who may have been undiagnosed or misdiagnosed. CRPS can cause a person to experience persistent, severe and debilitating pain. The condition may develop after an injury, surgery, stroke or heart attack, but the pain is out of proportion with the severity of the initial injury or trauma. The cause of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome isn’t clearly understood and CRPS awareness in the UK is low.
Burning Nights CRPS Support provides a range of frontline services to help those affected by CRPS, including
- online forum,
- email & social media support,
- range of information and awareness products designed to help people understand the effects of CRPS
- annual conference,
- regional support groups,
- Access to legal support
- Provide interviews and volunteers for interviews in the media and on social media
- Assist in CRPS research projects and surveys and help to provide volunteers
- Awareness sessions for schools, the public, health & legal professionals
- Fundraising Support
We’re self-funding and rely entirely on fundraising and donations. We don’t receive any Government funding. There are a few ways you can help & all that’s needed is a couple of hours a week either as a volunteer or helping us fundraise.
For every order made via our online CRPS shop during CRPS awareness month including Giving Tuesday 2018 up to and including 30 November 2018 (midnight GMT), we will give you not only one of our CRPS information leaflets, a button pin badge AND a CRPS wristband FREE of charge per order to one address*! (*Ts & Cs apply)
If you’d like to fundraise for Burning Nights CRPS please contact us and we will send you a fundraiser supporters info pack. Here are some fundraising ideas:
- Coffee morning,
- Talk at your local school/college,
- Ask local businesses/library/shops/supermarkets to see if they will put up our A4 charity information posters
- Speak to your GP/Pain specialist/physio/OT/solicitor & ask if they’ll include our CRPS information leaflet in their surgery/clinic/office. If your GP, physio, OT or pain specialist wants to include our leaflet in their surgery please give us their name and address and we will send the leaflets direct to them.
Since its inception in the UK in 2014, Giving Tuesday has become one of the biggest events in the global charity calendar, breaking successive Guinness World Records for the most amount of money donated online to charity in 24 hours. In 2016, £48 million was donated online via PayPal with the UK accounting for the second largest amount of donations. An estimated 4.5 million people in Britain also did something to support a good cause on the day.
Victoria Abbott-Fleming, Founder and Chair of Burning Nights CRPS Support said:
“As a UK CRPS charity we provide support to anyone affected by this life-changing chronic neuropathic pain condition, Complex Regional Pain Syndrome and to do that we rely entirely on fundraising and donations. By donating a small amount can go a long way. For £5 we can give leaflets and support to 2 people affected by CRPS. For £25 we can keep our telephone helpline running for 1 month. So perhaps instead of sending Christmas cards this year why not donate the money to Burning Nights CRPS Support? We appreciate every penny and pound that is donated to the charity.”
Ben Russell, Director of Communications at CAF, said:
“Giving gifts is a big part of most peoples Christmas celebrations and because of this, it is no wonder that Black Friday has become such a feature of the Christmas calendar. However, while many of us will be sharing presents with loved ones this year, millions more will spend it alone, hungry or worse.
The aim of #givingtuesday is to get people thinking about others this Christmas and doing little things that can make a big difference. It could be donating money to charity, volunteering in your community, or something as simple as offering to help a neighbour. If we all do something small this #givingtuesday, it could make a real difference to millions of people.”
Giving Tuesday 2018 Ideas
There are a number of ways you can get involved in Giving Tuesday 2018 to help Burning Nights CRPS Support. Here are some ideas:
- Post on social media asking friends and family to help support Giving Tuesday 2018 and Burning Nights CRPS Support
- Share all our Giving Tuesday 2018 posts on social media and don’t forget to use the hashtag #GivingTuesday
- Ask your local school or college to support you by giving them a brief talk on CRPS or fundraise with them
- Text ORANGE to 70500 to donate £5 to Burning Nights CRPS Support. T&Cs apply. 100% goes to Burning Nights CRPS Support. Learn more via our Text To Donate page.
- Share this event on social media
- Donate via BT MyDonate or click the purple box below
HOW DOES YOUR MONEY HELP?
Your donations are invaluable to us as a small charity trying to raise awareness and support people affected by a poorly understood rare condition. Here’s how your money can help:
- For every £5 you donate we as a charity can provide leaflets and support to 2 CRPS patients and their families,
- For every £25 you donate, we can continue to run our telephone helpline for 1 month
- For every £60 you donate, we can provide a free place at our annual national CRPS conference for a CRPS patients and their carer or loved one
On behalf of the charity and all those we support we would like to give our thanks to all those who have fundraised for Burning Nights CRPS Support and also all those who have donated to the charity. Any money that is raised goes towards our campaigns to raise awareness of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, help keep the telephone helpline going and provide CRPS information to those in need of help.
We would also like to say a huge THANK YOU to all our fundraisers, supporters, volunteers, friends, sponsors and donors – Thank You all!
If you’d like to take part in the Giving Tuesday 2018 campaign please remember to use the hashtag #GivingTuesday If you would like more information on how to fundraise for Burning Nights CRPS Support please have a look at our fundraising ideas and tips page or check out our Other Ways to Donate page and then contact us. For more information on how you can support charity whether you are an individual or a business please contact us either by phone on 01663 795055 or by email.
Last Updated: 07/11/2018