- This event has passed.
The Two Point Six Challenge
26 April @ 08:00 – 3 May @ 23:30 BST
The Two Point Six Challenge
The Two Point Six Challenge or 2.6 Challenge starts on Sunday 26 April 2020 and Burning Nights CRPS Support is taking part! We now need YOUR help to save the UK’s charities!
The coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic is having a huge effect on the world, the economy and people’s lives. Charities are also being hit extremely hard during this complicated time. Thousands of charity events including many of our own have had to be cancelled causing a massive loss to charities’ income.
The Virgin Money London Marathon alone, which should have taken place on Sunday 26 April 2020, is the world’s biggest one-day fundraising event, which raised more than £66.4 million for thousands of charities in 2019. Burning Nights CRPS Support also had a runner in this year’s London Marathon.
Burning Nights CRPS Support, like so many charities across the UK, has been hugely impacted by the cancellation of thousands of fundraising events due to COVID-19.
In response, the organisers of the biggest mass participation sports events across the country have come together to create a new campaign to raise vital funds to help our fundraising and save the UK’s charities.
What is the Two Point Six Challenge
The campaign, The 2.6 Challenge #twopointsixchallenge, will launch on Sunday 26 April 2020 – what should have been the date of the 40th London Marathon, the world’s biggest one day annual fundraising event, which raised £66.4 million for charities in 2019. The challenge will last for a week.
“The Two Point Six (2.6) Challenge could be a real lifsaver to so many as the money raised for Burning Nights CRPS Support funds essential support services to thousands of people affeted by Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) whether they are patients, family members, friends or carers.
The great thing about the Two Point Six (2.6) Challenge is that you can do any activity that works for you and at your own pace. The challenge is open to everyone.
Why not walk or run 2.6 miles, 2.6km or for 26 minutes around your lounge or garden? Or perhaps go up and down the stairs 26 times, do a 26 minute exercise, write 26 short poems or short stories, see how much you can knit in 26 minutes or 26 hours.
You could perhaps get 26 people doing a 26 minute workout or a 26 minute yoga session. Or why not do an online marathon gaming session for 26 hours, or get 26 friends to do a 26 hour marathon online gaming competition and get people to donate?
We want people to get active, have fun and raise money to help Save the UK’s Charities including Burning Nights CRPS Support by giving money or raising funds for the charity close to your heart.
All we ask is that if you take part that you donate what you can to our Two Point Six Challenge fundraiser. Why not donate £26 to our fundraising page to match the challenge or set up your own fundraising page on Just Giving using our own Two Point Six Challenge link?”Victoria Abbott-Fleming, Founder and Chair of Burning Nights CRPS Support
“For many of the UK’s charities, the day of the London Marathon is the biggest fundraising day of the year,” said Hugh Brasher, Co-Chair of MSO and Event Director of London Marathon Events.
“One of the founding pillars of the London Marathon was ‘to show how the family of mankind can be united’. We hope that The 2.6 Challenge, which starts on the day our 40th Race should have taken place, will embody that spirit and inspire people, families and communities to fundraise for their chosen charity to help Save the UK’s Charities. Right now, our vulnerable members of society need the help of charities more than ever before..”Hugh Brasher, Co-Chair of MSO and Event Director of London Marathon Events.
Two Point Six Challenge Ideas
There are any number of ideas for the 2.6 challenge, the only limit is your imagination! As long as you aim to fundraise around the theme of the number 26, whether it’s 26 or 2.6.
However here are some ideas you could do at home.
- Create your own restaurant at home – dress up as if you were going to a restaurant, have a waiter, chef, washer (or you could do all the jobs yourself depending on who’s akin your home). You could charge £2.60 per person and don’t forget the tips!
- Run a 26 hour gaming marathon – Are you a gamer? If so why not run a gaming marathon for 26 hours. You can also live stream your gaming through Just Giving using your Twitch account
- Hold a 26 minute music concert – Play a music instrument(s) for 26 minutes and invite friends, family members, school/university friends and use Zoom video conferencing or Google Hangouts so everyone can watch the concert
- Hold A Sporting Event – You could go up and down the stairs 26 times or for 2.6 minutes. Or walk around your lounge or garden 26 times, or for 2.6 minutes or walk the equivalent of 2.6 miles or 26 miles and pace yourself over the week of the Two Point Six Challenge
- Household Chores Event – You could see how many clothes you could neatly fold in 2.6 or 26 minutes. If you have a basket full of dry washing you could put the basket of laundry in the middle of a room, then each member of your house to neatly fold and put the laundry item in the correct room. The winner would be whoever had put the most items correctly in the right rooms.
- Make your own movie – You could become a movie director and make your own 26 second or 2.6 minute movie. Then show your screening to the family, and charge everyone £2.60 each to watch the movie. You could also invite others and get them to watch it via video conferencing, FaceTime, Google Hangouts/Meet.
- Online Quiz – You could create your own 26 question quiz. You can then charge people to take part in the quiz by asking them to donate to your fundraiser
- Write 26 Poems/Limericks/Short Stories – Are you a creative writer? You could perhaps write 26 short poems, limericks or short stories over the week of the Two Point Six Challenge. If you’re not too creative you could get your household to get involved. When you’re finished you could hold a Reading of your poems/short stories and charge your household to listen. You could always create an eBook after the end of the challenge and sell it online.
- Throw A Party – You could choose 26 music tracks and invite not only your household but also friends and family using Skype, Google, FaceTime or Zoom. There’ll probably be apps that you can download. You can then charge each person for the party.
How Can You Join The Two Point Six Challenge?
The 2.6 Challenge is open to anyone of any age – the only requirement is that the activity must follow the Government guidelines on exercise and social distancing and remember to stay local.
From Sunday 26 April 2020, we are asking you to dream up an activity based around the numbers 2.6 or 26 and fundraise by donating on the Burning Nights CRPS Support 2.6 Challenge donation page or by creating your own 2.6 Challenge fundraising page from the Burning Nights CRPS Support JustGiving home page. Or you can make a donation or set up your Two Point Six Challenge fundraising via the blue link below!
How To Increase Your Donations
After setting up your fundraising page you now need to start sharing it to give you the best chance of reaching your target! Here are some tips to help you increase your donations:
- Remember to use the power of social media to share your fundraiser. Please do tag us into your posts so we can share them
- Share pictures of you during your fundraiser on both your fundraising page and on social media
- Add the donation sticker on your Instagram Stories to help you raise extra funds on Instagram and tell people why you are fundraising for Burning Nights CRPS Support
- Create an email to send to friends, family and colleagues