Burning Nights CRPS Support is a UK national charity dedicated to raising awareness of Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
DONATE
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Valentina
    Participant

I am an RSD patient and it is a well-known fact that RSD patients are more prone to dental decay.
    I am suffering from a ‘dry mouth’, which is the side effect of medicines that I used to have. The medicines have altered the thickness of the saliva and it has become thick and ropey. Saliva is an important element which protects the teeth and reduces the gum diseases. This has caused bacterial plaque to grow even faster and rapidly than normal.
    I have booked an appointment with a general dentist in Aurora in order to have a root canal procedure. I am going to ask the dentist to provide a sedation during the dental work in order to avoid the dental anxiety which is common during the dental procedure.
    I had my crown replaced before and I was unable to manage with Nitrous Oxide and Novocaine and opted for sedation treatment. So, I am confused whether it is safe to have sedation while suffering from CRPS. Please give some genuine replies and suggestions. Thanks in advance.

debcon
    Participant

Hi Valentina,

I wanted to ask a similar question myself. I have heard that people with CRPS should not have local anesthetic when having dental procedures performed. That they should opt for Keramine injections instead.

I am due to have two crowns done this year and don’t know what to do now that there is so much scary stuff said about CRPS and dental procedures.

I wish I had an answer for you, unfortunately I also just have the same question… is dental surgery safe for people with CRPS? Is there safer alternatives such as Ketamine to avoid spread or flare ups?

Thanks in advance,
    Deb

karenat35
    Participant

Hi there, In new on here but a sufferer of R.S.D since 1993. I spent eleven years under the pain clinic in Sheffield and had every treatment they could provide, my old Consultant (bless him ) retired but still came in to see a few of us long standing patients in clinics.
    But this is the first i have heard of this horrid condition causing dental problem , I wish I had found this forum sooner in 2003 i developed osteomyelitis of my lower jaw I must have been in theatre 20 times under general anaesthetic.It was 8yrs before it was brought under control by 6weeks of daily hyperbaric treatment in Hull, which stopped the infection but sadly irritated my RSD. But next time I see my dental consultant ( i remain under dental hospital care for fear of reoccurance ) i will mention what I read on this wonderful website

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Accessibility
Call Now