Wheel Chair
Contact Us


Support For Carers, Families & Friends of CRPS Patients

There is always support for you as family, friends, loved ones and carers, our support services are not just for those living with Complex regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS).

Everyone needs help sometimes. You are not on your own.

This page gives you a list of information links and resources to help you cope.

Where To Get Support, Help & Advice

Please see the drop down links at the bottom of the page to find out more about the different areas of support. If you have any suggestions for other resources or organisations that could be included here, please get in touch. For more details of the support available to CRPS sufferers, visit Resources for CRPS Patients.

Burning Nights CRPS Support offers a number of Support Services for CRPS patients, their families, loved ones and caregivers. We hold regular Online Support Groups and you can also use our Online Community Forum to meet others affected by CRPS, seek advice and share your experiences.


Hands of Support
General Health Issues including Mental Health

General Health


Your GP is an important source of information on health and point of reference. Talk to your GP and they can help you cope with looking after or having someone close to you who has a chronic condition, such as CRPS, as well as signpost to others resources or organisations who can offer support. If you don’t have a GP and you need to see one, visit the NHS Choices website and enter your postcode to find local practices.


Mental Health

There are lots of different sites, organisations and resources out there, including support helplines, for when you are struggling with your mental health or feeling overwhelmed by your thoughts and feelings.

Mind (more details below) is a good place to start. In addition to information on mental health issues, including suicidal thoughts, there is also information and guidance on legal rights, finances and even an area just for carers that looks at how to cope as a carer or someone who looks after someone else who is unable to care for themselves. This can also be a useful resource for family and friends who need support, not just for carers.


Information about mental health problems, including advice for carers, how to look after your mental health and more. (UK)


Mind is an excellent source of help, not just for mental health issues, but also for help with housing, finances, legal rights, where to get help, advocacy, and other issues. If you are having mental health problems, don’t keep it to yourself - it will make it worse later on.

Mind: Coping while caring for someone else

Don’t feel embarrassed or worried that it’s not important or think that it will go because it isn't that simple. Mind also have an excellent Guide to Crisis Services, which you can download. Visit the Mind website for more information about mental health issues and the help available, or get in touch another way:

Tel: 0300 123 3393 (Open Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm, except for bank holidays)
Text: 86463
Address: Mind Infoline, Unit 9 Cefn Coed Parc, Nantgarw, Cardiff, CF15 7QQ


Mental health website with a specific section just for carers, families and loved ones including how to get respite, carers assessments, supporting someone with mental healh issues or suicidal feelings, wills, getting help in a crisis and more.



You might find that your mental state changes when under pressure from the stress of looking after or having someone you love live with chronic pain. You may feel angry, upset, depressed, tired and other emotions that need to be dealt with. It can help to talk about those feelings with someone outside of your home environment, such as a counsellor or psychologist.

You might be able to get a referral for counselling through your GP or you can find therapists in your local area through the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, who also provide information on their 'It’s Good to Talk' page. The Counselling Directory is good not only as a source of information as well as a resource to find a therapist near to you.

Burning Nights CRPS Support also offer a CRPS Counselling Service for people living with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. Visit our article on Counselling For CRPS & Chronic Pain to learn more.


Samantha Denney is the practitioner in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and counselling at AbbeyTherapy Practice. Samantha is a verified and fully registered UK SFTR CBT therapist, based in Sheffield. She is a fellow CRPS sufferer and supporter of Burning Nights, as well as a counsellor and CBT practitioner. If you should get in contact with Samantha, please mention Burning Nights CRPS Support. Contact details: Tel: 01142352652 | Mbl: 07483168909 | Email: info@abbeytherapypractice.co.uk


Find therapists in your local area through the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy, who also provide information on their 'It’s Good to Talk' page.

The BACP have a good website for information on how to find your local Counsellor/Psychotherapist and if you don’t find one near your home they also give you suggestions of how to look for one and what qualifications they should have. The majority of the counsellors on their website do mainly private work, however your GP may be able to suggest a local Counsellor that they send patients to on the NHS.


A UK directory of counsellors and psychotherapists with information about starting talking treatments.


Therapy Directory is is a UK-based website with links and information about massage therapy and the different types available.


Therapy Route is a directory of counsellors, psychologists, psychotherapists and mental health clinics around the world. There is the option to filter the mental health specialist in the directory for those who treat chronic pain patients.



CRPS Websites

CRPS Netzwerk is a CRPS information and support website written in German for CRPS sufferers in Germany and Austria. There are details of help, articles and directories that may assist you as the carer, family member, friend or loved one of a CRPS sufferer. They have around 15 support groups all across Germany and one in Austria. < http://www.crps-nrw.de/ >


NHS Choices is a good UK resource for health conditions and NHS services and features a section for CRPS which provides a brief overview of the condition and treatments available.


Pain Concern is a UK Organisation dedicated to:

  1. Producing information on pain using a variety of media platforms.
  2. Providing support to people with pain and those who care for them.
  3. Raising awareness about pain and campaigning to improve the provision of pain management services.
  4. Their CRPS helpline number is: 0300 123 0789 (UK), currently available: Mondays 1-4 pm, Wednesdays 10 am-1 pm, Fridays 1-4 pm.



Patient Worthy is a great resource for anyone with a rare condition like Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS). It is an online publication that provides fantastic news, information and support not only to patients with rare conditions but also to their families and carers. They provide support for CRPS sufferers as well as their families and carers. Burning Nights CRPS Support is a Partner of Patient Worthy


The Royal College of Physicians (RCP) Guidelines for CRPS Patients in the UK.


Based in the USA and established more than 30 years ago, RSDSA is another excellent CRPS/RSD resource website for those in the USA and worldwide who have been affected by Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formerly known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).


Stand Up 2 CRPS is the English website and project of CRPS Netzwerk.



Carers' Support

Action On Pain provides a lot of useful information in their section for carers and people looking after those with chronic pain, including a downloadable leaflet 'Waving the flag…For carers of someone.. Living with chronic pain'


The Australian Pain Management Association (APMA) is a great resource for carers as well as sufferers in Australia. There is a lot of information on how to cope as a carers of a chronic pain sufferer, support groups around the country, video resources and more.


If you provide care and support to an adult friend or family member, you may be eligible for support from your local council. This support could include money to pay for things that make caring easier or the local authority might offer practical support, such as arranging for someone to step in when you need a short break. It could also put you in touch with local support groups so you have people to talk to.


A website for any carer in Australia. There are resources, national advocacy and national campaigns around the different parts of Australia.


Information and support for carers, including an online chat room


For carers, family members and friends of someone who is ill.

T: 0808 808 7777 (UK) | 028 9043 9843 (Northern Ireland)


Available to members of the public, care professionals and members. Their website features further details on who they are, events, membership to the Association, weekly newsletters and more.


Based in the USA and established more than 30 years ago, RSDSA is another excellent CRPS/RSD resource website for those in the USA and worldwide who have been affected by Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), formerly known as Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD).




IGWM are a Partner Practice of St. James Place Wealth Management. Should you wish to discuss anything concerning finances or wealth managementyou can contact them via Tel: 01457 864157 | Mobile: 07714 827 210 | Or visit: www.igwm.co.uk/

The Partner Practice is an Appointed Representative of and represents only St. James’s Place Wealth Management plc, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority, for the purpose of advising solely on the Group’s wealth management products and services. More details of which are set out on the Group’s website: www.sjp.co.uk/products. The 'St. James's Place Partnership' and the titles 'Partner' and 'Partner Practice' are marketing terms used to describe St. James’s Place representatives.


Carers' Benefits

This site provides a breakdown of the benefits available to carers. It includes several different areas, including for carers who are under 60 years of age, over 60, etc. There is also a telephone helpline for free confidential advice for carers, but this is not available 24-hours-a-day.


The UK Government website has details of the individual benefits you may be entitled to, how much, how to qualify for it and also help if you have a disabled child.


There is a section on the Carers UK website that covers help and advice for financial support and understanding what is available in the UK.


CAB can give you advice on legal issues, money and other problems.


If you are a carer, there is financial support to help you. The Money Advice Service gives a list of the benefits carers could be entitled to.

If you are in need of help to either re-sort your finances, get information or advice on the state of your finances, the Government have set up the Money Advice Service. It is supposed to be free and impartial and offers a good range of information on debts, pensions, borrowing, getting work if you are ill or disabled, budgeting, appealing against benefit decisions, and more.

The site is also available in Welsh and for those living in Scotland, Money Advice Scotland also has free, impartial and confidential help, support and advice on its website.




CRPS Legal Panel

Burning Nights CRPS Support has a small Legal Panel for claims relating to Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), consisting on law firms who have experience in handling CRPS legal cliams. Find out more about our Legal Panel.


Medico-Legal Firms & Barristers and Law Firms Outside The UK

Fiona is a barrister at Kings Chambers, Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham. Fiona has been practising Personal Injury cases for over 25 years and has specialised in chronic pain and chronic pain conditions, like CRPS and fibromyalgia, for over 10 years. Ms Ashworth is also our Charity's Patron.


The attorney who wrote this article about the litigation of chronic pain cases, such as CRPS cases, is a trial lawyer at the firm of attorneys called Mr Spencer Lucas and has extensive experience in this area.



General Welfare Support Information

Revitalise create amazing holidays for disabled guests and their carers. Over the last 50 years, they have become both the UK’s largest provider of respite holiday breaks and the UK’s largest residential volunteering charity. Revitalise have three holiday locations located in Chigwell, Southampton and Southport, which are fully accessible for wheelchair users. Each location provides the reassurance of 24 hour on-call nurse-led care to those who require it, as well as exciting excursions, in-house activities and entertainment, and the opportunity for both the carer and cared for to enjoy a break. They welcome guests of all disabilities.


The Accessible Planet is a website provides information on a number of topics, including mobility, fitness, charities, news and articles, things for children, and much more. They are the fastest growing resource for everything wheelchair accessible and for those with reduced mobility - from wheelchair access vehicles to stairlift prices.


Are you interested in running or cycling? Check out the races on runABC Midlands! As a charity we have a number of places in running and cycling events. Contact us for information on how you can get involved.




The third parties mentioned on the websites are exclusively responsible for their own products and services. Burning Nights CRPS Support accepts no liability in relation to third party products or services or any failure to supply such products or services. You may access third party websites through links contained on our Website. Such third party websites are not under the control of Burning Nights CRPS Support and Burning Nights CRPS Support is not responsible for the availability of such Websites or their content. Any links provided on our or their websites are provided for your interest or convenience only and do not represent or imply any endorsement of such linked websites by Burning Nights CRPS Support. You acknowledge that your use of such third party websites is governed by the terms and conditions of use as applicable to those websites.

Last Updated: 26/01/2022

Registered in England & Wales.
Registered Address: 1 Alder Brook, Chinley, High Peak, Derbyshire SK23 6DN.
Registered Charity No. 1166522
Copyright 2023. Burning Nights.
All Rights reserved.
Site by Calm Digital

We use cookies to improve your experience. By accepting you agree to our cookie policy

Accept Cookies

Cookie Preferences

This website uses the following types of cookies: