MEDIA COVERAGE for CRPS/RSD
Over the weekend of 2nd May 2015, the story of the Burning Nights – CRPS Support creator happened to feature in several online newspapers and websites. The 2 popular daily UK national newspapers were; the Daily Mail/Mail Online UK national newspaper and the Mirror Online UK national newspaper. It also featured in Wales Online and the UK online magazine called SHINE!
This was great coverage for bringing CRPS/RSD to the forefront of the media and the general public. Many people have contacted Burning Nights asking about CRPS/RSD, what it is and how it affects sufferers. We also received messages from sufferers in all corners of the globe which was great as we managed to reach CRPS/RSD sufferers who had not previously found too much information in their own countries.
There were just a couple of factual errors that had been made, namely that I am a double above knee amputee not below knee and have been battling CRPS/RSD for 12 years not 3 years.
Here are the links to the story that has appeared in the media recently:
- DAILY MAIL / MAIL ONLINE Parry, Hannah, Charlton, Corey. 2nd May 2015, ‘From rising legal star to double amputee: How promising young lawyer’s life was tragically turned upside down by tiny scratch from a fall down stairs,’ Available from: <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3064453/From-rising-legal-star-double-amputee-promising-young-lawyer-s-life-tragically-turned-upside-tiny-scratch-fall-stairs.html#ixzz3ZRgxtOKF >
- MIRROR Wellman, Alex. 2nd May 2015, ‘Promising lawyer has legs amputated after suffering a scratch falling down some stairs,’ Available from: <http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/promising-lawyer-legs-amputated-after-5627011>
- SHINE! – Shine Editor. 28th April 2015, ‘Life with Complex Regional Pain Syndrome – CRPS,’ Available from: < http://shinemagazine.co.uk/life-complex-regional-pain-syndrome-crps/>
- WALES ONLINE – Wellman, Alex. 7th May 2015, ‘Promising lawyer has legs amputated after suffering a scratch falling down some stairs.’ Available from: <http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/promising-lawyer-legs-amputated-after-9200332>
- PAJAMA DAZE CHRONIC PAIN WEBSITE – 8 June 2015, ‘Victoria’s Joyful work – creating a website and charity for CRPS sufferers,’ Available from: <http://www.pajamadaze.com/joyful-workers.html>
- LEGGILO.NET – Cipro, Fabiana. 2nd May 2015, ‘E’ Stata una Banale Caduta dalle Scale, Oggi sono Senza Gambe,’ Available from: <http://www.leggilo.net/154831/e-stata-una-banale-caduta-dalle-scale-oggi-sono-senza-gambe.html>
- FOX NEWS USA – Fox News.com 7th May 2015 ‘Woman has legs amputated after suffering a scratch,’ Available from: <http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/05/07/woman-has-legs-amputated-after-suffering-scratch/>
If any more media coverage for CRPS/RSD occurs then Burning Nights will include them here. Media coverage is important to raise awareness of this terrible condition CRPS/RSD and will hopefully raise the profile and remove the stigma from it to enable the NHS and the various health systems around the world to improve the time of diagnosis and to put more funds into research so a cure or specific CRPS/RSD treatment can be found. Please feel free to share any of the links on social media or to make any comments you may have below.